Samsung Electronics has started a recall in South Korea of its Galaxy Note 7 smartphone, following reports of its battery catching fire.
The South Korean tech giant says it has a new battery for the device, which hit the market last month.
On Monday, customers were seen visiting an outlet in Seoul to get free replacements for their phones.
The model in question was sold in 10 countries and territories. The company said it would recall 2.5 million devices globally, with the recall scheduled to start in the United States on Wednesday.
Samsung says it will offer users who opt to keep their unfixed phones an automated software update, which will limit battery charging to 60% to prevent overheating.
The global recall is a setback for Samsung, which has long been engaged in a fierce battle with Apple and other manufacturers in the smartphone market.
Source and image: NHK